Warren & Emily Swan → Trips → 2011 Florida Everglades
See the 1985 Florida Everglades Trip for a general discussion of these
somewhat regular/irregular snow-bird excursions.
Interesting items about this trip were:
- This is the first time we’ve gone down at Christmas time since 1994, but only because
Emily teaches school now; otherwise, later in the dry season is much better.
- Amy’s friend, Caleb Green, came with us and stayed in the Everglades the first few
days before flying back to Kentucky.
- We visited Heidi at her new home near Atlanta, both on the way down, and for several days
on the return trip.
- Warren went on the 3.8 mile Pinelands hike for the fifth time.
However, it being too early in the dry season, it was mostly marshy and miserable.
- Warren’s older brother and family arrived several days later.
(His dad and stepmother no longer come to stay in the Everglades.)
And his youngest brother arrived just the night before we left.
- We went down as far as Little Duck Key to go swimming and wading at a park there.
- The park had started giving tours of the old Nike Missile Site, which had always been a
mysterious place in the middle of the park.
- We went back to the Alligator Farm, and this time Emily came with us, for her first
- Daniel, Amy and Caleb canoed by themselves from Flamingo up to Mud Lake and back.
Pretty much everything else was the usual hiking, biking, night prowls on the Anhinga Trail,
and so on.
visited 6 states (12%)
Create your own visited map of The United States